An Uninsured Motorist Hit Me: Now What?

June 10, 2022

Tens of thousands of car accidents happen each year in the US. Sooner or later, you’re likely to be involved in one. But what do you do if the other driver is an uninsured motorist and you are left with mounting medical bills and expenses?

Don’t panic. You have options, and there are steps you can take to protect yourself. The most important thing is to get medical help if you need it. Even if you don’t think your injuries are severe, it’s essential to get checked out by a doctor. Once you’ve done that, you can start to look into your legal options.

No one wants to be in an accident, but if it happens, knowing what to do next can help you protect yourself and your rights. If you’re in this situation, you may want to consider hiring a car accident lawyer. An experienced attorney can help you navigate the complex legal system and get the compensation you deserve.

I Heard It’s Impossible To Collect From An Uninsured Motorist?

If the other driver is uninsured, you may believe you have no recourse, but an experienced attorney may be able to help you file a claim. If you can’t collect from an uninsured motorist, you may need to file an uninsured motorist claim against your insurance provider. In these situations, most insurance providers will try to pay you the least amount of settlement possible. This is where a car accident lawyer can be beneficial. They will know how to negotiate with insurance companies to get you the best possible compensation for your damages.

What Are Damages?

An insurance company may try to pay you for actual damages, or what can be quantified in dollars and cents. Your insurance may cover visible damages like a cut or broken bone, up to your policy limits. But what about all the other expenses that come with an accident?

Compensatory Damages

If you have suffered because of a physical injury, you will want to collect compensatory damages. This is something insurance companies may try not to cover. But if your life has been turned upside down because of an accident, you shouldn’t have to suffer even more by being denied the compensation you deserve.

Punitive Damages

Punitive damages may, in some circumstances, be awarded in addition to compensatory damages. They are designed to punish the at-fault driver for their negligence and act as a deterrent to others who might behave similarly.

Punitive damages can be awarded in car accident cases where the at-fault driver was intoxicated, driving recklessly, or engaging in other grossly negligent behavior.

Coverage Limits

Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Coverage are something you need to add to your car insurance. These policies typically have a cap for each individual’s injuries and a cap for total injuries.

Seek Legal Representation

At Saladino & Schaaf, we’ve helped countless people who have been injured in motor vehicle accidents. We know the ins and outs of the law, and we can help you get the compensation you deserve. Contact us today for a free personal injury consultation at 270-444-0406 (Paducah Personal Injury Law Office) or 270-753-1529 (Murray Personal Injury Law Office). We’re here to help.




To reach a trusted member of our team, contact us by calling:


Uninsured Motorist Accident




To reach a trusted member of our team, contact us by calling:


Meet Our Team

Saladino & Schaaf, PLLC is dedicated to providing high quality, aggressive legal representation to victims of personal injury and wrongful death. Since 1984, this firm and its predecessors have had one goal in mind – to help the victims of personal injury put the pieces of their lives back together.

Areas of Practice

Car Accidents learn more
Semi-Truck Wrecks learn more
Motorcycle Wrecks learn more
Workplace Injuries learn more
Hospital Negligence learn more
Nursing Home Neglect learn more
Premises Liability learn more
River Injuries / Jones Act learn more
Defective Products learn more
Prescription Drugs learn more

Request Your Free Consultation

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Latest Firm News

Call Today For
Free Consultation:
(270) 444-0406