My Car Crash Police Report Is Wrong: What Are My Options

June 3, 2022

Car crash scenes can often be chaotic, and it’s not uncommon for police officers to make mistakes in their police report. Your police report is your first line of defense when seeking compensation for your injuries, or to defend yourself should the other driver or drivers file suit. If you find that your car crash police report is wrong, there are a few options available to you.

The first step is to contact the police department that filed the report and request a correction. Oftentimes, the police department will be willing to make a correction without any hassle. If the police department refuses to correct the report, you can contact an attorney. An attorney may be able to help you file a petition with the court to have the report corrected.

Common Errors On A Car Crash Report

  • Incorrect car make or model
  • Failing to list all of the cars involved in the accident
  • Incorrectly identifying the drivers involved
  • Spelling errors
  • Mistakes of facts like names and dates
  • Being vague about the location and details of the accident
  • Failing to list witnesses
  • Listing an inaccurate insurance company

How Can An Inaccurate Police Report Hurt You?

If you are in a car crash and the police report is inaccurate, it can cause several problems. The car insurance company may deny your claim based on the information in the report. If the other driver’s insurance company denies your claim, you may have to go to court to get the money you deserve. An incorrect report can also affect your ability to get a fair settlement from the other driver’s insurance company, or may even open the door to legal action against you.

Contact An Experienced Car Crash Attorney

If you have been in an accident and believe that the police report is inaccurate, it is important to take action. By taking the proper steps, you can ensure that your car crash police report is accurate and reflects what really happened. This will help you avoid problems down the road and get the compensation you deserve.

If you or someone you know has suffered personal injury in an accident, we can help. Contact Saladino & Schaaf today or call us at 270-444-0406 (Paducah, KY) or 270-753-1529 (Murray, KY) to schedule a free case review. You may be entitled to a significant settlement for your car crash injuries, but you must act quickly. There are time limits on legal action.




To reach a trusted member of our team, contact us by calling:


Car Crash Police Report




To reach a trusted member of our team, contact us by calling:


Meet Our Team

Saladino & Schaaf, PLLC is dedicated to providing high quality, aggressive legal representation to victims of personal injury and wrongful death. Since 1984, this firm and its predecessors have had one goal in mind – to help the victims of personal injury put the pieces of their lives back together.

Areas of Practice

Car Accidents learn more
Semi-Truck Wrecks learn more
Motorcycle Wrecks learn more
Workplace Injuries learn more
Hospital Negligence learn more
Nursing Home Neglect learn more
Premises Liability learn more
River Injuries / Jones Act learn more
Defective Products learn more
Prescription Drugs learn more

Request Your Free Consultation

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Latest Firm News

Call Today For
Free Consultation:
(270) 444-0406